A birthday cake is simply a dessert eaten at a birthday party. Typically, birthday cakes are square-shaped layers with white frosting usually served on top as a treat to the birthday celebrant. Often variations include tarts, cupcakes, cakes, and cupcakes with fillings, frosting, or fruit. Birthday cakes can be personalized with names or party dates on the frosting in addition to an expression of how the birthday celebrator likes to have cake. View it now to know more about cakes.
- The birthday cake has been associated with birthday parties since the time period of ancient Rome when cakes were eaten by children as an offering to their parents and gods. Cakes were common at birthday celebrations until the Victorian era, when a more upscale type was made with fancier ingredients.
- The Victorian era brought back the birthday cake and as it became more popular it began to show up at more birthday parties grew to accommodate the cake as an addition to the dessert. The case became a staple birthday treat and is still seen as such today.
- The origin of birthday cakes actually traces all the way back to ancient Rome.
- When the Roman Empire began to expand it was quickly embraced by neighbouring countries and soon cakes began to arrive at birthday parties. These were not real cakes but breads that were filled with fruit and nuts and were presented to the birthday celebrator by his or her friends and family. The fruit in the bread was a symbol of wealth in those days and was a symbol of the Roman’s open arms to foreign lands.
- In medieval times Spain also celebrated its own version of the birthday cake with darkly colored cakes and little cupcakes that were given to the birthday celebrator by a friend or family member.
- Today birthday cakes are typically red or white in color and usually have a smooth brown top. Most have white frosting and are decorated with either a single lit candle or many lit candles surrounding the cake. A happy birthday cake can be lighted with birthday candles placed strategically around the dessert for added ambiance.
- In modern times candles are still used to celebrate the special day. Candles are traditionally used to celebrate the birth of Christ and used during New Year’s and Christmas too.
These cakes can be decorated in many different ways. You can look for birthday cake near me and see the best cake shops. They can have candles placed in them, mini-cupcakes made in them and even candles shaped like animals.